QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Abiit of overkill for a tow rope but i want one

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drive a recovery truck and had a cable cut through the cab like a cheese wire, i'm sort of very safety consious now  Shocked
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I used to drive a recovery truck and had a cable cut through the cab like a cheese wire, i'm sort of very safety consious now  Shocked

Good for you. Wink Don't want to spoil the fun with any accidents.

LTM 24
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched some one try to kill them selves by trying to pull start an over filled sand wheel with a length of hi tensile chain onto a back actor bucket. It snapped with a bang and went strait through the cab and out the other side.
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:

I still do work in recovery and i too have seen this happen,,,frightening is not the word to use really,,,also once saw a recovery point let go on an old series landrover,,we actually didnt see the shackle fly but certainly felt the wind off it and heard the smash as it went thru the rear door of the recovery vehicle,,,,and I do meen THRU it!!

People do not realise how dangerous and potentially lethal a situation can get thru not taking a step back and thinking,,not just about how to recover something from mud etc,,,there can be a knock on effect over everything you do.A solid steel shackle to the side of some poor unfortunates head could kill them..

just take your time over it all,,dont rush in to it,,think of you,them,anybody stood around watching,the vehicles and to a certain degree,,the environment.Just bear in mind that when something does go wrong and someone looses life because of it,,not only is their legal rammifications but also,,you have to live with it for the rest of your life!!

I will apologise to you all if this is just going over old ground but its something I feel particularly strongly about,I know of a guy who had a winch rope snap on him,the recoiling end of the steel rope ripped his shoulder and face apart,,he lost sight in his right eye and also there was that much damage to his arm,,he will never even be able to hold a beer can in his right hand again.....

DONT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.....IF IN DOUBT,,SIMPLE,,DONT DO IT.
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure the advice on recovery could go on for ages... but here is one to echo Webby. A 20ton+ rope is only as strong as the weekest link in the system... so rusted tow points, small shackles etc etc etc are all more likely to fail than the rope itself. Before any recovery is made make sure you are confident all components in the system are suitably rated. Also when the recovery is in place keep people clear of the area - especially between, in front and behind the motors.
foldingcamper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to let you all know that i did use my loverley tow rope when we where at Kielder. Unfortunatley i have to admit that it was used to tow me off and what is worst it was a L*** R**** that pulled me off.
I am so sorry for letting the side down but it was my first time off road and i did learn alot
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

foldingcamper wrote:
what is worst it was a L*** R**** that pulled me off.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the shame! Embarassed  Wink

LTM 24
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: