4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

need your help & advice on what to do with my knackered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siaskey

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 20:35    Post subject: need your help & advice on what to do with my knackered Reply with quote

Get yourselves a cup of tea...and settle in to the fun and games I've had over the last 9 months!
Started in Aug'05, driving down the M4 and lost all power... my fault completely, hands up, million and one things to think about and didn't notice the temp gauge... stopped and all hell broke loose... relayed back to the garage... the guys stripped the engine to find 2 of the centre cylinders scored..
Had the offer of a second-hand engine and install for around £2k... but stupid old me plumped for re-conditioning...for £3k...this did include clutch, water pump, rad and various other little components... the garage guy (so he said!) had the units pressure tested and skimmed...
It took nearly 4 months for it to arrive back.

Well... that lasted all of 1k miles... oil mixing in the radiator... i managed to get it back to the garage... they reckoned that it was my fault for driving it while hot!!!.. after various arguements and no evidence of the pressure test certificates... they called to say that they would be doing the job free of charge!!! and did I want a hire car... what a turnaround?... and they reckon that they popped a brand new head on it (i think that's quite possibly a lie! would anyone do that over a skim, and for nothing!)

Yep... you guessed it... another 3 months and 500 miles later.... it starts to overheat again... sure enough... Oil mixing in the radiator... actually went through 2 litres in about 60 miles!

So.... back to the garage... the owner called me all the names under the sun, threats, the lot!... but did offer to have it back (legal obilgation... apparently?)... but made it very clear that it'll just sit in his yard rotting until he's ready to do it?

I can't let this muppet have another go.... can I?

So, what do you's lot think...

1, sell it now... it's a 't' plater import (never again!) with 87k on the clock but I'd be lucky to get anything for it.

2, Spend more money on getting another engine, pop in and then get rid? and hope I get £4k for it

Cheers in advance...
The soon-to-be newest member of the Landcruiser owners club!!!
Si
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 20:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say only one thing.
The garage is responsible, if they did the job proper you wouldnt have problems.

Oh and welcome to ITOC Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Marky... I've had troopers for over ten years now....and didn't realise this was here...but i do now...

Yep...the garage are wholly responsible but it's gonna have to go legal and get messy... shame, don't really want to go that way but the guy lost it big time with me... at least i might recover some of my money... enough to get a secondhand lump and sort it...
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a couple of members with simlar problems, basicly if they cant do the job they shouldnt take it on.
If there is legal action i'm sure you will win Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with this - although you shouldn't need luck as the law is on your side
Can you let us know the name of the garage so we can avoid it?
siaskey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep.... it's in Elberton, near the old severn crossing.... a real nasty piece of work... hates everything and everyone... funny really, nice as pie when you're paying the bill.

Think I'm gonna drop a secondhand engine in and get a report on (and keep) the old one... loads of hassle, but might just ease the rather large hole in my pocket....

Anyone know the best place for a good 3.1 engine.... I'm looking in Trade-It, just incase one comes up...How much do you think I should budget for?

I had a 2.8 for years....brilliant motor.... sold it to a mate... still going strong...
jjcymru

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easier to find a 2.8 than a 3.1 and far cheaper.

you can swap the head and block assembly and bolt on the 3.1 manifolds.

Just one wire on the fuel solenoid and your away.
Philp

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've had a new rad and waterpump unless the fan isn't working then there clearly isbn't any external; reason for the engine to overheat like this. One thought is that unless the engine uses stretch bolts on the head you generally need to retorque it after about 200 miles or so (depending on engine) If this hasn't been done then it can lead to early HG failure. This should really be covered by the rebuilder though if they've installed the engine.

I'd get trading standards involved as clearly their work isn't up to standard and their attitude to customer service is somewhat erm relaxed..

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
more x 4

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

as phillip says,one call to trading standards. if they've had other complaints,or if they have any in the future Wink
we have to look after each other
siaskey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

...luckily, i paid by credit card (he didn't trust me with a cheque!)...I gave them a call and they are prepared to take it on for me as sub-standard work..... they will refund the money and go after the garage... I just need a report on the engine...

Spoke to a really helpful guy at www.engineprofessionals.co.uk today...
advised against a replacement engine for various reasons... so, after another think... it's going over to cardiff to be stripped, tested hot and cold......and they are going to prepare a report and give me options on their findings...

Fingers crossed... i'll let you know how it goes..

Anyone used The Engine Professionals before?

Interesting to know that the 2.8 could go in it...
Roby

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry to hear your troubles. It reminds me when something similar happened to me but with a different make of vehicle. Shoddy workmanship and a fried auto transmission was the result...and it only went in for a flexi plate and a trans oil change! The car broke down soon after I got it back and I got it towed back to the garage. The guy just told me to F off or he would set the dogs on me!
...and all I'd done was walk in his garage and explain that the car had borken down for some reason with no drive after only a week. I had even taken the cheerful aproach so as to get the best response from him !! Anyway, to cut a long story short, he didn't touch the car and when I rang up trading standards to make a complaint, they had a large file on him. The problem is, when you go to a small claims court, even when you win, you may only end up with 50p a week for the next 40 years and as you have to pay the initial costs of a legal representative, it just isn't worth it!

This was the advice I was given by trading standards over the phone so I didn't bother and ended up scrapping the car. There are some nasty traders out there that know the law and just ain't bothered. A few months later, I joined another forum to do with drag racing and the bloke was on there, and obviously not recognising my log on, he welcomed me onto the forum and said 'the kettle is always on so come on over anytime', since I am local...!

I didn't bother with the brew. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just something for you to think about...these days I think it's far better to flame someone like this on the net as a bad reputation is VERY hard to shake and hits them where it hurts...good luck with what you decide to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: