2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.8 power problems

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonkem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should have been pressure change not vacuum Embarassed Can't imagine what a pipe would be doing on the gearbox, the plot thickens Exclamation
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 23:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out today and the power loss has returned, was fine for a while and gradually dropped off. The engine sounds muffled again and it's lost it's "sharpness" I'm wondering if this means I have an air leak somewhere as it got better after I'd bled the filter and pump and this started after I'd serviced it. I'll start by taking the fuel filter off and reseating it, bleed again and see what happens. Does anyone know what size the rubber fuel pipe is from the tank is I noticed it is a bit crusty under there so it may have cracked although I can't see any obvious leaks but as its a bit oily underneath it's hard to tell. If I replace the fuel pipes is it just a matter of keep on bleeding it from the filter housing to get the pipe full again?

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jonkem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to the bleeding after changing the pipe, doesn't take too long to get it through. Can't tell you the diameter as I haven't got a tank underneath anymore!
Mine now only has those symptoms occasionally. Feels almost like it's not coming onto boost when you think it should. Gonna check the vac pipes around the turbo just to be sure.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm i dont feel a boost on my 2.8 Shocked
But i get 35 mile to £5 on average.
I would love to know how fast they are supposed to go Question
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 35, there is definatly boost after about 2500rpm
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

jonkem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

37mpg on 50% veg oil and a good run. Normally boosts at 2500 apx no rev counter. Just sometimes feels like it isn't gonna boost.
50mph in 5th gear very gutless when you try to accelerate. Another time it will fly away. Very strange Confused
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mine I find that anything under 55mph is a forth gear job (most of my miles are towing though).
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Philp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just spent the morning underneath the thing. At some point, probably when the back half of the chassis was replaced the hard fuel lines have been cut just in front of the rear wheel and replaced with rubber hose. Ive just replaced both bits of rubber fuel hose after trimming the pipe stubs back to clean metal and used all new clamps. Good job as I think the main feed (the larger top line) was leaking slightly and turned out to actually be air hose rather than fuel line and had gone rock hard at the ends.

I also pulled the filter and found two big flakes of red oxide paint in the top on top of the matrix, possibly from where I pumped some fuel out into a jerry can when I had to reseal the fuel gauge sender, the jerry can was a bit flakey inside although I thought I'd used a funnel with a filter in. I managed to pull the flakes out of the holes in one piece but will order a new filter this afternoon from milners. It wouldn't surprise me if these have been shifting around partially blocking the flow, they were best part of 10mm square each!

I've also re-bled the filter and pump so I need to go for a longish test drive to see how it holds up.

This afternoon I'm gonna nip up the handbrake adjusters and also have found the new exhaust is blowing again so will get some fire gum in the bad joints. It's going to the place that fitted the new exhaust for its MoT anyway so if it's still blowing they can sort it out and pass it.

jjcymru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you get on? any joy?
wayneh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had similar problem on a 1990 2.8, i replaced the steel fuel pipe with 8mm outside diameter nylon pipe and this cured it, the original steel pipe was in a1 condition externally but when i cut it in half it was badly clogged. the nylon pipe only cost about £4 and i have just changed the pipe on my 92 trooper just in case.
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on a new filter from Milners, should be here today, I think it probably didn't ship out until yesterday as I rang them quite late on in the day. Once thats here I'll change em over and go out for a run. I hope I don't need to drop the tank and get it cleaned out as that would be a big PITA.

Philp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the filter yesterday and followed the wife over to drop her car in to the dealers for a service and it does seem that normal service has resumed, however, we'll see how long it stays that way. It may be that I need to flush the fuel lines and have the tank cleaned out if its crud in there.

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bum, Pooh and widdle, the damn thing has gone off again after a second drive, same as before, loss of power, I did notice a bit more smoke when I revved it. My thoughts are:

Air still getting in somewhere, got to be in tank or a bit of the fuel line I haven't changed
Fuel feed line getting clogged with muck, either in tank or further up
Fuel pump has intermittant fault
Turbo has intermittant fault (but it does feel like its boosting)
Fast warm up flap closing on it own accord either in intake ot exhaust (don't think theres one in exhaust)
New back box has loose bafle that is intermittantly blocking flow

Does anyone know whether it's safe to blow the fuel lines through with compressed air or will it damage the in tank pump?
Anyone know what a complete set of hard fuel lines costs from the dealer?
Anyone have a clean fuel tank/pump for a 2.8 diesel for sale?
Anyone have a turbo as above?

I am at the end of my thether now and I am seriosuly thinking of sticking it into a garage and letting them diagnose it.

turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Does anyone know whether it's safe to blow the fuel lines through with compressed air or will it damage the in tank pump?

Phil, do the diesel Troopers really have an in tank fuel pump? I do not think they do as the fuel injection pump is what draws the fuel from the tank, instead of a seperate fuel pump like a gas vehicle has. I know this is true of our 81-87 era Isuzu diesels that were sold here in the US. I might be wrong though because we didn't receive the 88 and newer Troopers with any diesel option. Just trying to clarify.

Salvy
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think they do, or bleeding them would be a whole lot easier Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: