All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.8 power problems

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03    Post subject: 2.8 power problems Reply with quote

Just got back from a 2k+ mile round trip to France and the Trooper is giving me some cause for concern. I seem to be losing some power at the top end, difficult to describe but it seems to get a bit "mushy" as the revs go up and doesn't seem to pull as well as it did. I did a full service before I left and I did have problems bleeding the air out of the fuel filter. Could this behaviour be down to some air getting further down the system, I did bleed it again and the injector pump whilst I was "whooshy" like fan noise. It also seems to be exceptionally frugal on diesel. It does feel like its boosting though. Any ideas what could be up, air in the injectors? Duff turbo, *beep* new exhaust pipe, closed intake/exhaust warmup flap (although that never gets used and shes's not smoking) She still cruised back at 70 loaded up, oil pressure is good as is temp, but she just don't feel right.

All answers on a postcard please, I thank you!

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

nail it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi if theres any air getting in to diesel system can corse lack of power ect check all pipes from tank also check for kinked pipes also filter fitment double check all seals av seated and filter housing for cracks if its still draws air after u have done these checks it could be a tank pickup pipe problem down to rust 8)
siweb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 19:19    Post subject: Re: 2.8 power problems Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
and the Trooper is giving me some cause for concern. !

welcome to my club philp Rolling Eyes Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 19:31    Post subject: Re: 2.8 power problems Reply with quote

siweb wrote:
Philp wrote:

Sad don't wanna be in your club......

I don't think it's anything drastic TBH, I just think I cocked up the service a touch as I was in a hurry and it was raining. I also noticed what looks like a missing vaccum pipe, it seems to go from a little round doodad just behin the fuel filter to another round doodad on the side of the air filter housing, the middle pipe is missing as there's an open stub. I'll get a picture tomorrow. (Not sure if that's the right routing and even if it should be there but it looks like it should have a pipe)

I did wonder if all the vibrations from this *!%^* exhaust had possibly half shut the warmup flap but the sudden lack of thirst seems to point more towards a fuel type problem. How do I bleed the pump, the picture in the handbook didn't look anything like my pump, so I cracked off the bolt at the fuel union and pumped the little handpump and tightened it up. Failing that how does one go about bleeding the bleeding injectors?

siweb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 19:34    Post subject: Re: 2.8 power problems Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
siweb wrote:
Philp wrote:

Sad don't wanna be in your club......

I don't think it's anything drastic TBH, I just think I cocked up the service a touch as I was in a hurry and it was raining. I also noticed what looks like a missing vaccum pipe, it seems to go from a little round doodad just behin the fuel filter to another round doodad on the side of the air filter housing, the middle pipe is missing as there's an open stub. I'll get a picture tomorrow. (Not sure if that's the right routing and even if it should be there but it looks like it should have a pipe)

I did wonder if all the vibrations from this *!%^* exhaust had possibly half shut the warmup flap but the sudden lack of thirst seems to point more towards a fuel type problem. How do I bleed the pump, the picture in the handbook didn't look anything like my pump, so I cracked off the bolt at the fuel union and pumped the little handpump and tightened it up. Failing that how does one go about bleeding the bleeding injectors?

tooooooooo late m8 i,ve made you a full member, members pack is in the post Laughing
jonkem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can crack open the bolt at the back of the pump to bleed it. It is in the centre of the 4 outlet unions and used for timing the pump.

My 2.8 is exactly as you describe after my last service. I can't diagnose it at the moment (broke the axle) but am certain it's not trapped air because I run an electric pump.

I changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter & used bucket loads of injector cleaner. I also had 2 vac pipes knocked off by my "assistant" but I'm pretty sure they went back in the right places.

I look forward to you resolving this one for me as well Smile
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
joeswan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar experience, when also in a hurry didn't connect 2 vacuum pipe. These 2 went round to the nearside and connected above the turbo. Both were on connections on the Intercooler??? Joe
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

No intercooler on mine.

jonkem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine neither!
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures. Having a poke around there seems to be a fair bit of oil underneath this vacuum operated doodad in the inlet manifold, seems to me to be oozing a little from the spindle shafts. a: what is this called and b: is this normal or a sign of something bad turbo wise as I guess this is where the oil is likely to be coming from. It could at a pinch be coming from the rocker cover but I don't think so.

view from O/S

view from N/S

Secondly, there seems to be a vacuum hose missing here, it looks like it possibly goes from the pipe stub covered by the green duck tape (applied by me to seal it) to the other circled bit at the side of the air cleaner assemby shown circled in the second pic. Can someone with a 2.8 have a look at theirs and tell me if I am missing a hose and if my guess as to it's routing is right (oh and any idea what bore size hose it is would help too.)

I'm still inclined to think air in the fuel system somewhere but if anyone can give me instructions for bleeding the pump as I can't seem to find the beeld screw and also how to bleed it at the injectors I'd be grateful.

markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for the huge pics, but its all i have, i hope you can make the instructions out

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I was right then as thats what I cracked open and bled with the pump on the filter. It was just the pictures in my handbook don't look anything like my pump!

Any chance of you having a squint at some point at the vac pipes?

markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, pm me and i'll have a drive over, that way you can compare and get your club stickers Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I think this is a great idea, can't do this weekend as we have visitors but could do an evening, I could come over to you if thats easier. I need to try and get this lack of urge sorted as she's due for an MoT next month and I need to lug the trailer down to France in August.

markymoan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime that suits you really, i'll pm you my home
phone number, im only 2 mins of the m62 swinton turn off Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: