QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper 3.0 2001, Engine Fan noisy at idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 13:44    Post subject: Trooper 3.0 2001, Engine Fan noisy at idle Reply with quote

Hi, My engine fan has started to make a vibrating noise at idle (sometimes), took the fan off and the noise stopped, the noise is very like something touching the engine but checked for this and it's not that, anyone have any ideas? Regards Gordon.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 13:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan-shroud is a fairly flexible chunk of plastic - if it's NOT mounted properly, it can distort and touch the whirling fan-blades.

The fan is driven, through the Viscous-Fluid-Clutch, by the fan-belt - if there were any fibre sticking out of a slightly-frayed BELT - THAT could touch something and make a similar noise.
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric is the way.  Very Happy
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree most strongly! Even if a Viscous-Fluid-Clutch were faulty - and you had to replace the fluid - that's a piece of cake  - compared to replacing the whole unit with something from another type of vehicle!

I THOUGHT I had to replace the fluid in mine ['cos I had a REAL overheating problem], so I bought some 'thicker' fluid On-Line and replaced the original stuff. It was easy and uncomplicated - and the result was certainly a new fan with much better TORQUE!

This guy's problem is entirely different, though! He's got a simple 'mechanical' problem of something touching the Fan-Blades. That has to be either because the Fan is turning OUTSIDE the 'intended' area [which could be because the shaft is bent, bearings are gone etc.] - or something is INTRUDING INTO the proper turning-circle of the Fan [like a twisted Fan-Cowling, or whatever].
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just a suggestion.  Rolling Eyes I fitted a twin speed kenlow to mine. Never had any issues and realised how little the fan is actually needed. Surely the less load on the engine and water pump has to be worth it. Question
Browndoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I seemed 'over-excited' by your suggestion. The truth is that ALL items which use energy - from wheels to fans to lights, heaters etc. get that energy from the ENGINE - even if it is through the generator and the battery, it still comes from the engine originally. All along the line, each stage is less than 100% efficient - so each stage wastes some of the energy - so, in fact, something which uses ELECTRICAL power, wastes more than the same power-level from something driven directly from the engine itself [like the fan driven by the belt].

None of the energy used in the vehicle is 'free' - it all comes, eventually, from the energy stored in the fuel-tank.

My real objection to the after-market electrical fans is all the extra work to remove the original system and fit something entirely new. That may well be worth-while for something which increases power or traction  at the wheels - but any system which removes enough heat - is a 'good' coolant-system!
darren m

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you check or replace the viscose fan clutch fluid -- never even knew it existed Embarassed

pics if poss Smile

99 LWB 3.0 TD Citation

2000 LWB 3.0 / 3.1TD Duty conversion
Browndoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it! It'll probably NEVER go wrong! Even mine, though slightly less than 100% WAS NOT to blame for my over-heating problem - it was really down to a clogged RADIATOR - which I had to replace in the end.

For those who might have a REAL problem with it - the strip down is easy and replacing the fluid is cheap. The simplest test of its efficiency is the Twisted-Roll of Cardboard test. Just twist together a roll from a cereal-box and stick it into the turning fan when the engine is COLD - the fan should STOP - 'cos the Viscous-Fluid-Clutch is not up to 'heat' and so it lets the Fan free-wheel with very LOW torque.

When the engine is HOT, the radiator heats the little spring on front of the  Viscous-Fluid-Clutch and it closes its internal valves and joins the Fan to the Water-Pump-Shaft with a HIGH torque. That means if you stick the twist of cardboard into the whirling Fan when the engine is HOT - it should SHRED the cardboard!! If it stops even when HOT - then your  Viscous-Fluid-Clutch is not up to the job and it's NOT driving cold air through the Radiator.

Don't worry about this test - it's NOT as dangerous as it might seem! The nylon Fan-Blades are well able to tear through a twist of cardboard with no damage to them selves - and  your fingers should be entirely safe if the piece of cardboard is long-enough!
[img][/img]
The pictures show the tools required and the type of fluid to use as a replacement - I got it from a website catering for RC-model-cars! Toyota also sell it for the fan-clutch in the Hilux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: