Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Thermostat cause loss of heating?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pennywise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:10    Post subject: Thermostat cause loss of heating? Reply with quote

would a knackered thermostat cause the heaters to blow cold air? Thanks matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

griffter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly or might be dash unit playing up as mentioned on recent post
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the engine warms up to FOP [as seen on the dashboard Thermometer], the water pumped through the heater matrix should be hot-enough to allow the fan to blow some heat into the cab - even before the Thermostat opens to allow this hot water into the radiator to be cooled down.

The cab's heater-matrix gets 'preferential treatment' in this regard. If the gauge shows normal temp and the fan still blows COLD air - then the problem is likely to be between the heater-controls and a blocked matrix.

If so, I'd start with a simple flush through the heater matrix plumbing. It's readily accessible - just two easily-seen pipes running into the bulkhead near the oil-filler-tube. Remove the rubber-pipes and attach a garden-hose to one metal tube - then turn ON the tap. This would push out any muck in the matrix and then the water should flow full-bore, clean and freely through the other pipe. When 'all's well' - just reconnect the original hoses and top-up the radiator with normal coolant-mix. Run the engine and any air will bubble out at the rad-cap in a few minutes.

If you're lucky, that will solve the problem in one easy go! Otherwise the problem lies with the controls.........
Pennywise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thanks for that
Pennywise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i flushed out the system and no muck! So its either full of sediment and wont budge or theres another problem!!!
Thanks for any ideas
Browndoff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well I flushed out the system and no muck!"     By that I assume you mean that it's now flowing freely and clean - in one pipe and out the other.

In a way, that's hard luck! It means that your problem lies in the control system - which includes the water-valve which admits the hot water into the matrix. If it's flowing properly through the matrix [and you can shut it off with the valve] - then the problem must lie with the controls - and may be more complex.

It seems likely that would involve stripping out the matrix to clear the air-ways and ensure effective operation of the control-system.

If there has been a misunderstanding - and you DID NOT get water to flow THROUGH the matrix - and/or you can't control it with the Temperature-Control-Knob - then THAT'S where I'd start - 'cos that Knob is supposed to control the water-valve.
Pennywise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the water was moving freely and clean. So the control knob would control the water going in and out would that depend on which pipe i attached the hose to?
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way wrong Mr B ,the water flows hot through the heater matrix all the time its the flap over the matrix that controls how much hot air comes into the car.

I would start with looking at the rods and levers moving in time to the dials and if its a Bighorn with the electronic control panel as per the other post look at that too .

" which includes the water-valve (WHAT) which admits the hot water into the matrix. If it's flowing properly through the matrix [and you can shut it off with the valve] - then the problem must lie with the con"

Do try and keep up with modern tech lol
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I was wondering where this "water valve" was?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must apologize to ALL for causing confusion - as has often been mentioned before - 'presumption' is the very OPPOSITE of understanding!

As Mr G. has said - it's most likely a fault with the control-rod system - which, unfortunately, will require some stripping-down of the front panelling to gain access for further examination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: