QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1TD head gasket change - help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:43    Post subject: 3.1TD head gasket change - help Reply with quote

After a long debate some time ago about my cooling system I have finally got round to changing the head gasket - but I am stuck.
I am following the manual which was posted on this site a few months ago - section 6A2-26.

I have got as far as trying to undo the oil return pipe from the turbo - this needs to be unbolted from low down on the crankcase - impossible to access?

Then the next step is to undo the exhaust manifold bolts/nuts and lift out the turbo and exhaust manifold together. There are two bolts at the centre/bottom of the manifold which are impossible to access with the turbo still on.

Am I missing something? If any of you have done this and can suggest anything I would seriously appreciate the advice. Perhaps there is a better sequence of removing things or something.

thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

the oil return can i think be accessed from the wheel arch with the wheel off to make it easier
rather than take the turbo and manifold off dissconnect the exhaust and lift it off with the head hope this helps
RSB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I managed in the end after the usual amount of swearing and grazed knuckles.

What I found when I removed the head was that there seems to have been some cross-over between the bores and the water ways at the narrow bit between two of the bores. I guess this is consistent with the problems I was having - bad coolant loss/highly pressurised cooling system (hoses bulging).

I also found a single slightly bent pushrod. No sign of any other damage. Does anyone know where I can get these, without resorting to Mr Isuzu? Also is it ok to just replace a damaged one or should they all be changed?

Also, my new head gasket set contains eight small oil seal type things. I am guessing they may be for the bottom ends of the pushrods and not used if you are not stripping the engine down further. Does this make sense?

thanks
RSB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more thing - i assume the new gasket has to go on dry - ie no sealant, oil or anything??
Oakland Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you dont use sealant on your Head Gasket just make sure its the right way up and the right way round, some gaskets are not marked too clearly and its easy to get them wrong.
Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can fit one pushrod no probs the oilseal (things) are they like cups if so they are valve stem seals
you may get a pushrod from an engine reconditioners if not its isuzu
RSB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - completed the head gasket change, and it seems to have sorted out the coolant loss problem and the reserve container level seems to be going up and down as the engine warms up and cools down - which is good, this was not happening before, it was just constantly losing water.

But - the engine vibrates badly on its mountings and has *beep* power. I did not adjust the valve clearances - I just bolted the whole rocker arm assembly thing back on. Also I fitted 2 new pushrods.

It has only just occurred to me that if there was any difference in gasket thickness this would throw the gap out. Worse still, if the previous owner had adjusted the gaps correctly with a couple of slightly curved pushrods, fitting new ones would *beep* up the adjustment.

Does this make sense - could the unbalancing effect of the above give the engine a really bad wobble. Any comments welcome.

Tommorow I intend to whip the cover off and have a go at adjusting the clearances, if I can get to grips with the TDC marks etc
RSB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies - hadn't intended to attract the attention of the censor.
Anyone see Gordon Ramsay on the TV tonight? disgraceful
RSB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again - trying to get TDC.
Found the pointer on the engine, but the only mark I can find on the crankshaft pulley is two round holes on the front face of the outer pulley.
I was expecting to find a line on the back pulley near the pointer. What should I be looking for?
thanks
Grandad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should find cut marks in the rim of the rear pulley as you turn it clockwise the last one to come up to the mark is tdc
RSB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - I found the mark - not exactly easy to spot.
Gaps now adjusted and engine running perfectly. Stupid of me to think I could chuck it back together without adjusting them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: